520 Industrial Blvd. Waconia, MN 55387
For 2022-2023 registration information follow this link: Registration
Welcome to District 110 Waconia Wildcat Preschool
Waconia Community Education connects, empowers, and enriches lives through lifelong learning and service to our community. Early Childhood Education is a core component of Community Education where families and young children begin their relationship with Waconia Schools. We recognize that every student has unique needs. It is our goal to offer the best learning environment for your child. Academic and support specialists collaborate with classroom teachers to deliver classroom instruction. This collaboration is designed to support each child who comes through our door to reach his/her full potential.
Waconia Wildcat Preschool provides innovative classrooms where creativity and imagination flourish. Our inclusive program helps all children discover a joy of learning. Your child will be immersed in a stimulating environment that encourages physical, intellectual, and emotional development through play based investigation, purposeful questioning and exploration for deep learning and a seamless transition to kindergarten.
There are other preschool options available in Waconia, but our preschool is the only preschool that aligns with the Waconia School District curriculum and the overall K-12 system. We work closely with Early Childhood Special Education and kindergarten teachers to foster a successful transition from preschool to kindergarten.
Goals of District 110 Preschool Programs
At ISD110, our mission is to allow students to explore their passions and create success. In early childhood we give children a high quality preschool experience in partnership with parents. We strive to educate, collaborate, challenge, empower and support families, nurture development and treat all with respect.
- Parents are children’s first and most important teachers
- Licensed teachers nurture and provide structure to support young learners and parents
- Research based curriculum embedded with standardized goals will provide learning to ensure kindergarten readiness
- Classroom environments should be carefully designed to support developmentally appropriate exploration for preschool children
- Play opens the world of learning for the preschool child
We are a Pyramid Model School
Pyramid model is a social and emotional framework incorporated into the curriculum to ensure high quality classrooms for all students. Teachers are supported to implement this framework through the Minnesota Centers of Excellence. Children will benefit from this program through learning life long skills such as: friendship, self regulation, problem solving and learning about emotions.
Waconia Wildcat Preschool earned a Four Star Parent Aware Rating. Parent Aware Star Ratings help parents find programs that go above and beyond to prepare children for school and life. To earn this top rating, a program must demonstrate the following:
- Exemplifies a truly engaged school readiness program for parents
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student’s progress
- Continually adapts lesson plans and goals to meet individual needs
- Regularly updates parents on child’s progress
- Has staff trained on children’s developmental disabilities
- Communicates across cultures
- Provides staff with annual professional development on relevant early childhood topics
Class Activities Promote Age Appropriate:
- interacting with peers and adults
- learning class rules and routines
- developing self-regulation
- learning about emotions
- problem solving
- friendship skills
- performing tasks independently
- following health and safety rules
- eye-hand coordination
- cutting and drawing
- coordinating body movements
- outdoor and indoor play
- STEM activities
- building curiosity in our natural world
- numbers, counting
- shapes, sizes, sequencing
- name recognition
- patterns and sorting
- letter recognition
- concepts of print
- phonemic awareness
Creative Curriculum: This is our base curriculum. Creative Curriculum includes developmentally appropriate goals and objectives for children within four main categories of interest: social/emotional, physical, cognitive and language. Teachers use Creative Curriculum as their guide to set-up their classrooms, observe children and ensure they are teaching to the whole child.
Second Step: This is our social-emotional curriculum. Second Step is research-based, teacher-informed, and classroom-tested to promote the social-emotional development, safety, and well-being of young children. When children enter kindergarten with self-regulation and well-rounded social-emotional skills, they are set-up for success.
Foundations: This is our language arts curriculum. Foundations assists children with phonemic awareness, phonics and letter formation.
Wildcat Discovery Park offers children a nature-based outdoor playground experience. An early childhood edible garden, a fort building area, a unique sand box created out of logs, and traditional play equipment are available.
Waconia Preschool programs are an inclusion preschool and open to all children.
For financial assistance please contact the Early Childhood Department for more information.