District 110 Community Education offers Behind the Wheel Training to participants who have successfully completed classroom training sessions and have been issued a permit. This is an opportunity for students to receive an additional 6 hours of driving experience with a certified driving instructor.
To register for Behind the Wheel Training, the registration form below should be submitted, in person at the Community Education office, along with payment and the letter verifying completion of the 30 hours of classroom instruction. The student's name is then entered into a database. The date of their 16th birthday, along with the date of registration, will determine their priority on the waiting list. We encourage students to register early. Do not schedule your driver's test before you start your 6 hours of Behind the Wheel. If you are participating in an after-school activity, please be aware that this limits your scheduling availability with the Behind the Wheel instructors.
To obtain your blue card, you will need to bring with you:
- the letter of verification of classroom instruction
- a completed Behind The Wheel Registration Form (click on the link https://isd110.org/sites/default/files/files/content/behind-wheel-contract-2022_0.pdfto download a registration form; forms are also available in the Community Ed office)
- payment (either half of or full payment of $348, with checks payable to Waconia Community Education)
You will then receive the blue card, which is needed to take the permit test. Community Education does not mail the blue card; you will need to pick it up at the Community Education office.
Please Note: You must have your permit a minimum of 6 months prior to taking your driver's license test.
You must present two forms of identification at the time of taking your permit test. One form of identification must be a primary document. The primary document must include your full name and the month, day, and year of your birth.
Primary Identification Documents
- Certified court copy of the birth certificate (This cannot be the hospital birth certificate. This can be purchased at the courthouse if you were born in any county in the State of Minnesota.)
- Valid, unexpired passport
Secondary Identification Documents
- Certified school transcript
- Social Security card
You will be contacted by one of the Behind the Wheel instructors for your 6 hours of Behind the Wheel. Contact Community Education at (952) 442-0610 with any questions.
A $25 fee is assessed if a student is scheduled and he or she cancels a lesson with less than a 24-hour notification. The instructor will not reschedule a student lesson until they have paid the penalty fee in the Community Education office.
A $25 fee is assessed if a student drops the program altogether. The balance would be refunded.
For More Information
For information regarding test center locations and hours, fees, farm work license information, and so on, visit the Minnesota Department of Public Safety website and click on "Driver & Vehicle Services," or visit the Driver and Vehicle Services website and click on "Driver Education."